Healthy Habits of Highly Successful Musicians: What can musicians do to improve performance and prevent injury?
Join the Actors Fund for a workshop on Healthy Habits of Highly Successful Musicians at the Friedman Health Center at 729 7th Avenue, 12th Floor. Register here.
In this seminar, we will:
- Review the unique risk factors facing instrumentalists
- Describe basic muscle, tendon and joint anatomy, physiology of overuse injuries, and physiology of pain
- Discuss preventive steps for musicians to avoid injury and optimize musculoskeletal health including smart practice habits
- Review music health principles with a demonstration of specific stretches and exercises to be performed prior to playing, onstage and backstage
- Present optimal playing posture and position with examples of instrument modifications for safe playing
Presenter: Aviva Wolff, EdD, OT, CHT
Clinician Scientist, Leon Root, MD Motion Analysis Laboratory, Hospital for Special Surgery
Hand Therapist Consultant, The Juilliard School