In its decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, the U.S. Supreme Court has struck down one of our longstanding and significant constitutional rights. While we acknowledge that our membership has varying opinions on this issue, Local 802’s role as a social justice organization demands a strong response whenever our members’ historically protected rights are threatened or curtailed.
We condemn this decision by the conservative majority of the court. It will place an undue burden on women from poor communities and on women of color. It will create a world where our wives and daughters have fewer rights and choices than their mothers did. And it will tacitly uphold the continued disparity between the sexes in the workplace.
One thing we can all agree on is that our rights as citizens must be zealously safeguarded. The loss of this fundamental right puts our other rights at risk.
Local 802 is exploring ways to provide aid and support to those most directly impacted by this decision. And we encourage Local 802 members to consider the following actions:
- VOTE for candidates who stand up for women’s rights, human rights and other values you believe in. Elections have dire consequences. The midterm elections this fall are especially crucial.
- VOLUNTEER FOR JUSTICE in any way you can. We suggest that a logical place to consider would be Planned Parenthood.
- DONATE OR RAISE MONEY FOR PROGRESSIVE ORGANIZATIONS AND CAMPAIGNS
- USE YOUR MUSIC for positive change in any way you can.
- SHARE INFORMATION. If you have friends and family who live in states where abortion is now limited or illegal, Planned Parenthood has created this online tool to help share information about new restrictions.
- TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. If you are feeling depressed or anxious to the point where you can’t function, remember that the Entertainment Community Fund (formerly the Actors Fund) offers free mental health counseling to our members. Send an e-mail to Eastern@entertainmentcommunity.org or call 917-281-5919. The Entertainment Community Fund also offers a medical clinic at the Friedman Health Center for the Performing Arts.
Abortions should be safe, legal, affordable and accessible. Local 802 stands for freedom, opportunity and equality for all women and for all people. Let’s use our music, our work, our energy and our union solidarity to create the world that we want to live in.