For the fourth year, members of Local 802 and their children who are pursuing studies in music will have the opportunity to apply for an Anne Walker scholarship.
The fund honors a dedicated advocate for musicians, who worked tirelessly on the 802 staff for 30 years. Anne Walker died after a tragic automobile accident in 1996, while serving as Administrative Assistant to the President, Supervisor of the Music Preparation Department and Administrator of the Local 802 Sick Pay Fund. A membership meeting subsequently adopted a bylaw establishing the scholarship fund.
Last spring, the fund’s trustees awarded scholarships to two 802 members – John Cipolla and Johannes Pfannkuch – and to Yahn Van de Walle, a young trumpet player whose mother and stepfather are 802 members.
“The Anne Walker Scholarship provides a wonderful opportunity for our members or their children to receive financial assistance in remembrance of Anne’s valuable contributions to Local 802,” said Executive Board member Jay Blumenthal. Other members of the panel are Bob Cranshaw, Gayle Dixon, Julius Grossman, Bernard Lieberman and Jimmy Owens. Abe Rosen also participated in last year’s selection process.
To be eligible, you must be an 802 member in good standing or the child of a member in good standing, and you must be pursuing a course of study in music as part of a degree-granting program at an accredited institution. Applications must include the documents listed below, and they must be postmarked no later than March 31, 2002.
Anne Walker Scholarship Fund applicants must submit:
- A one-page resume which includes their musical background.
- A one-page letter which includes the name of the institution and program they will be attending, a description of their involvement in music and why they feel they are deserving of a scholarship.
- A letter of recommendation from their music teacher.
- The most recent transcript from the institution they currently attend. If returning to school after a break in education, a transcript from the applicant’s previous institution is required.
- If the applicant will be attending a school s/he has not previously attended, a photocopy of the acceptance letter from the future institution is required. In the event the acceptance letter is not available before the application deadline, it must be received before a scholarship can be awarded.
Address: Send materials to Associated Musicians of Greater New York, Anne Walker Scholarship, c/o Vice-President Erwin Price, 322 W. 48th St., NYC 10036.
Deadline: Application materials must be postmarked by March 31, 2002.