Allegro

Currently Browsing: March, 2011

Making Progress
Tino Gagliardi
“Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark” is set to open this month. Above, the orchestra is ready for opening night. Broadway musicians will soon be covered by a new agreement. A Broadway agreement is reached in principle – and it’s looking

Read More

Paul Molloy
Union supporters in Wisconsin protest the proposed legislation to gut collective bargaining rights for public workers. Arts advocates could learn from these demonstrators. Photo: Zak((Again)))) via Flickr.com Here we go again. With familiar clichés about “making tough choices in these

Read More

A Conversation with Fiona Simon
Ann Wilmer
Fiona Simon, Local 802 member since 1982. At the age of four, Fiona Vanderspar Simon met the violin and that was it. She knew that was her future. Simon, a Local 802 member since 1982, began her musical career as

Read More

Organizing Matters
Michael Donovan
Local 802 was out in force on Feb. 14 as the union went after Chaim Rosenblatt Productions, a/k/a EvanAl Orchestras. We set up at two sites where EvanAl had contracted bands. Union leafleters visited the Eden Palace on Flushing Ave.

Read More

Legal Corner
Harvey Mars, Esq.
March is Women’s History Month, a perfect time to highlight a historic gender and pay discrimination lawsuit that will be heard by the Supreme Court sometime in June. The suit, easily the largest discrimination suit in the history of the

Read More

Su Terry
After 90 years of “equality” – beginning with the passage of the 19th Amendment, which granted women the right to vote – women jazz instrumentalists are still subject to what I call the Equal But Separate syndrome. The phrase harks

Read More

Anne Feeney
In 1997, I became the first woman ever elected president of AFM Local 60-471 (Pittsburgh). In what was truly a freakish outcome, I took office with only 34 percent of the popular vote. The remaining 66 percent of the vote

Read More

Janet Lawson is fearless, free and focused
Todd Bryant Weeks
Janet Lawson sits upright in her chair across the table with an expectant grin on her face. If one looks more closely, one sense a certain gravitas behind that smile, a seriousness revealed in a gesture, certain gleam in the

Read More

March 31, 2011 is the deadline to apply for this year’s Anne Walker Scholarship prizes. This is the 13th year that members of Local 802 and their children who are pursuing studies in music will have the opportunity to apply

Read More

Recently, Local 802 negotiated a cabaret agreement with Urban Stages for “Musical Legends.” The production showcases four individual bands and celebrates the life and music of Pearl Bailey, Kay Ballard, Nat “King” Cole, and Marlene Dietrich. We were able to

Read More

The Musicians’ Voice is an open forum for discussion about the state of union affairs. The letters here do not necessarily express the views of Local 802. E-mail letters to Allegro@Local802afm.org or write to Allegro, Local 802, 322 West 48th

Read More

Ralph Bowen Thomas Cavanagh Gregory M. Jones Aaron T. Patterson Naren Rauch Lawrence Rush Why did I join Local 802? To be part of a membership which includes some of the greatest musicians in the world. My musical goal in

Read More

Helena Mary Kaprielian Helena Mary Kaprielian, 83, a pianist and organist and a Local 802 member since 1951, died last year, on July 30, 2010. Ms. Kaprielian graduated from Fresno (Calif.) State University with a bachelor’s degree in music and

Read More

December 14, 2010 - January 4, 2011
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 14, 2010 eeting called to order at 11:12AM. Present: President Gagliardi, Financial Vice President Blumenthal, Recording Vice President O’Connor, Executive Board members Dougherty, Hyde, Kruvand, Olcott, Sharman, Assistant to the President Donovan. It was moved and seconded to

Read More

Bill Crow
While I was on the road with Art Farmer in the Gerry Mulligan Quartet back in 1959, Art used to tell me about his early years in jazz. He loved Dizzy Gillespie’s playing, and tried to sound like him. But

Read More