March 31, 2011 is the deadline to apply for this year’s Anne Walker Scholarship prizes. This is the 13th year that members of Local 802 and their children who are pursuing studies in music will have the opportunity to apply for a scholarship established in memory of Anne Walker.
The fund honors a fiery advocate for musicians whose more than 30 years of work at 802 were cut short by a tragic automobile accident in 1996. At the time Anne Walker was administrative assistant to the president, supervisor of the Music Prep Department and administrator of the Local 802 Sick Pay Fund. A membership meeting subsequently adopted a bylaw establishing the scholarship fund.
To be eligible, you must be an 802 member in good standing or the child of a member in good standing, and you must be pursuing a course of study in music as part of a degree-granting program at an accredited institution.
Applications must include the documents listed below, and they must be postmarked no later than March 31, 2011. Historically, the awards have averaged around $500 each, although the exact amount varies each year.
Anne Walker Scholarship Fund applicants must submit:
- A one-page resume that includes their musical background.
- A one-page letter which includes the name of the institution and program they will be attending, a description of their involvement in music and why they feel they are deserving of a scholarship.
- A letter of recommendation from their music teacher.
- The most recent transcript from the institution they currently attend. If returning to school after a break in education, a transcript from the applicant’s previous institution is required.
- If the applicant will be attending a school she or he has not previously attended, a photocopy of the acceptance letter from the future institution is required. In the event the acceptance letter is not available before the application deadline, it must be received before a scholarship can be awarded.
- A recent photo. (Winners may have their photos published in Allegro.) A head shot is fine.
Send materials to Anne Walker Scholarship Application, Office of the Recording Vice President, Local 802, 322 West 48th Street, New York, NY 10036. Application materials must be postmarked by March 31, 2011.
For more information, contact the office of the recording vice president at (212) 245-4802, ext. 111.
CAN YOU HELP?
The Anne Walker Scholarship Fund needs your help! If you are in a position to make a donation, please consider it. The fund helps Local 802 members and their children attend music school. To make a donation, call Ira Goldman at (212) 245-4802, ext. 120.