Health Care Claim Information

Membership Alert

Volume CVII, No. 4April, 2007

As already reported in Allegro, effective Jan. 1, MagnaCare became the claims administrator for the Local 802 Health Benefits Plan. Union Labor Life will no longer process claims for the plan.

What does this mean to you? In the past, members were able to complete a yellow Union Labor Life claim form and submit it together with a copy of a statement of services rendered. This is no longer the case.

MagnaCare requires that all claims should be submitted on an HCFA-1500 form. This form is available on the Health Benefits section of this site.)

Some provider offices submit claims electronically; some do not.

If your providers do not submit claims electronically, they should at least provide you with a completed HCFA-1500 form. If they do not, it becomes your responsibility to complete the form in its entirety and submit directly to MagnaCare.

There are certain sections of the form that have to be completed. They are: 1 to 13, 21, 24, 25, 27 to 30, and 32.

In section 1a, write your MagnaCare I.D. number found on your card.

In section 25, write the provider’s federal tax I.D. number. This is very important. Claims will not be paid without this information.

Section 27 is titled “Accept Assignment.” To accept assignment means to assign payment to the physician or lab. If you’ve paid the claim yourself, you want to be reimbursed; therefore you need to check “NO.” This will ensure that the claim will be reimbursed to you, the participant.

If you have any questions about completing this form, or if you have not yet received your new MagnaCare card in the mail, please contact the Local 802 Health Benefits Department at (212) 245-4802. Ask for extensions 171, 172 or 173.