May 1 is the deadline to apply for this year’s Anne Walker Scholarships. This is the 17th year that members of Local 802 and their children who are pursuing studies in music will have the opportunity to apply for these prizes.
The scholarship honors a fiery advocate for musicians whose more than 30 years of work at 802 were cut short by a tragic automobile accident in 1996. At the time, Anne Walker was administrative assistant to the president, supervisor of the Music Prep Department and administrator of the Local 802 Sick Pay Fund. A membership meeting subsequently adopted a bylaw establishing the scholarship fund.
To be eligible, you must be a Local 802 member in good standing or the child of a member in good standing, and you must be currently a senior in high school who will attend an institution of higher learning to complete a degree in music or a related field OR any current student at an institution of higher learning who is pursuing an undergraduate degree in music or a related field.
Applications must include the documents listed below, and they must be postmarked no later than May 1, 2015. The amount of the awards will depend upon the number of grants awarded. (Historically, each award has been in the range of $500 to $1,000.)
Each Anne Walker Scholarship Fund applicant must submit:
- A one-page resume that includes the applicant’s musical background.
- A one-page letter which includes the name of the institution and program the applicant will be attending, a description of his or her involvement in music and why the applicant feels deserving of this scholarship.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons who have knowledge of the applicant’s history and qualifications, i.e. teachers, mentors or employers.
- For high school seniors, a copy of the applicant’s junior year transcript and a copy of the applicant’s senior mid-year report. For undergraduates, a copy of the applicant’s previous year’s transcript.
- If the applicant will be attending a school she or he has not previously attended, a photocopy of the acceptance letter from the future institution is required. In the event the acceptance letter is not available before the application deadline, it must be received before a scholarship can be awarded.
- A recent photo. (Winners may have their photos published in Allegro.) A head shot is fine. Digital photos may be e-mailed directly to Allegro@Local802afm.org.
Send materials to Anne Walker Scholarship Application, Office of the Recording Vice President, Local 802, 322 West 48th Street, New York, NY 10036. Application materials must be postmarked by May 1. For more information, contact the office of the recording vice president at (212) 245-4802, ext. 111.