PENIEL AND NY REVELS SIGN CONTRACTS
The musicians of the Peniel Concert Choir recently ratified a new three-year agreement that will expire on Sept. 13, 2013. The choir has agreed to pay Local 802 Single Engagement Scale wages in effect at the time of service.
Separately, the New York Revels signed onto a new three-year agreement that also pays Single Engagement Scale wages. The contract will expire on Sept. 30, 2013.
If you get called to play with a classical ensemble and the working conditions or wages are not up to standards, contact Concert Rep Karen Fisher at (212) 245-4802, ext. 176 or Kfisher@Local802afm.org. All calls will be treated confidentially. We have a proven track record in assisting musicians. Let us help you win the respect that you deserve!
BLUE CROSS STAND-ALONE PLAN NO LONGER AVAILABLE
The Blue Cross stand-alone hospitalization policy is no longer available on the individual market in New York. While you still can have it under a collective bargaining agreement, you cannot buy it yourself. For more info, e-mail Martha Hyde at EarMar4@verizon.net
LOST HEALTH INSURANCE?
f you recently had insurance and you’ve just lost it, remember that you may be able to continue the same insurance for a period of time by paying for it out of your own pocket. This is called COBRA. There are even some state and federal subsidies, so that your COBRA payments may be reduced or even free. Allegro recently featured a comprehensive story about this issue. A copy is posted at www.TinyURL.com/AllegroCobraStory
ARE YOU PAYING TOO MUCH TAX?
As a musician, your employer is legally required to pay their fair share of your taxes. If you’re paid cash for gigs, you’re losing money. Usually, employers cover 7.65 percent of your taxes. The taxes are called FICA, and are made up of 12.4 percent of your wages for Social Security and 2.9 percent for Medicare. The total is 15.3 percent. It’s supposed to be split between employer and employee. When you are misclassified as an independent contractor, you are losing 7.65 percent of your wages. If you make $30,000 per year as a musician, you are losing $2,295 in taxes out of your own pocket that your employer should be paying for you. For more information, contact the Organizing Department at (212) 245-4802.